NEW YORK – The Trump administration last week informed some Huawei suppliers to revoke their licenses to sell to the Chinese technology giant and intends to reject dozens of other applications to supply telecommunications equipment manufacturers, people familiar with the matter told Reuters.
The action against Huawei Technologies – probably the last under the administration of Republican President Donald Trump – is the latest in a long-term effort to weaken the world’s largest telecommunications equipment company, which it says poses a threat to US national security and foreign policy interests.
The announcements came amid a spike in US action against China in the final days of the Trump administration. Democrat Joe Biden will be sworn in as president on Wednesday.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Trade did not immediately return requests for comment.
In an e-mail seen by Reuters documenting the shares, the Semiconductor Industry Association said Friday that the Commerce Department had issued “an intention to reject a significant number of applications for an export license in Huawei and revoke at least one previously issued license.” Sources familiar with the situation, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said there had been more recalls.
The e-mail states that the actions covered a “wide range” of products in the semiconductor industry and asked companies if they had received notifications.
The email states that the companies have been waiting “many months” for licensing decisions and that they have less than a week left in the administration, facing that challenge.
A spokesman for the semiconductor group did not immediately respond to a request for comment.