Her independence and hygiene make many people decide to adopt them. However, the scientific study put it in the center of the scene the danger of cats Like pets: most carry a parasite that can cause schizophrenia in humans.
It's about Tokoplasma gondii, that It's expanding between people, especially when they come into contact with plastic trai which is used for the animal to be freed. But this is not the only way to get infected; This can happen, for example, when you eat raw meat.
This parasite does not usually hurt, but scientists at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, have conducted research that showed that the risk of developing schizophrenia increases by 50% for infected.
Schizophrenia is a brain disease that presents a serious illness distortion in thought, perception and emotions. Patients may experience hallucinations, i.e. They hear or see something that others do not know. They can also exhibit abnormal ideas – called mistakes – that do not fit into reality.
The analysis was conducted on more than 80,000 people in a Danish blood donation study, where they found more than 2500 cases persons with unfavorable psychiatric conditions. Experts discovered parasites in a quarter of the population surveyed, of which 61% were cytomegalovirus, which also causes cognitive impairment.
The study found that they were infected Tokoplasma gondii Almost 50% have a greater chance of getting a diagnosis of schizophrenia than those who do not. This parasite can prevent the action of the amino acid in a body called tryptophan, which would cause large amounts of metabolites such as quinuric acid, a substance found in people with schizophrenia.
Parasite Т. gondiiAs is known, it is more popular because of an infection called toxoplasmosis that causes flu-like symptoms. Most of the time, the disease is very low. However, in the case pregnant women it becomes more complicated because it can generate Serious risks for the baby.
How to prevent infection?
• If you have a cat, make sure it is healthy, visit the veterinarian and execute appropriate devorming.
• Clean the cats box daily using gloves and then wash your hands. The cat flies only infected after 36 hours.
• If you do not have a cat, when working in the garden, keep in mind that there may be fecal matter traces of other cats, so use gloves.
• Do not eat raw, insufficiently boiled meat or sausages.
• Clean accessories and / or objects that were in contact with raw meat.
• Wash your fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
• The parasite is resisting low temperatures, but not high. Cooking food at high temperatures guarantees your death.
• Wash your hands before eating.
• It is important to undergo control throughout the pregnancy, in order to detect the possible infection immediately.