Saturday , February 4 2023

Health | Pioneering surgery for pancreatic cancer surgery, one of the most deadly | Technology and Science | Science



[ad_1]

More than 1,200 people worldwide have been diagnosed daily pancreatic cancer, which has one of the lowest rates of survival of this disease.

But now there can be a breakthrough for patients.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the most aggressive. According to the American Society for Cancer, at best The 5-year survival rate is 14%, while in the worst forecasts only 1%.

Now the Vall d 'Hebron Hospital in Barcelona (Spain) tests a pioneering technique that could improve this situation. This is called radio frequency, and with this procedure, they have already successfully worked on three people.

These patients suffered from a very specific type of pancreatic cancer, a local advanced adenocarcinoma of the pancreas, inoperable with traditional techniques, and whose only treatment is palliative chemotherapy.

Therefore, radiofrequency can be effective as an alternative to palliative chemotherapy in treating pancreatic cancer with worse prognosis.

— innovative technique —

This technique consists in introducing a needle that allows the application of temperature up to 80ºC directly in the tumor zone. High temperature burning cells.

Needle also has a cooling system. "In this type of intervention, a cooling system is used that allows the introduction of cooling liquids to areas such as the duodenum to prevent overheating," explains surgeon Elizabeth Pando of the Vall d 'Hebron Hospital.

It is a procedure that is already being used in other types of cancer, such as tumors of the liver, kidneys and lungs, but which have never been applied to pancreatic cancer.

"Nobody ever dared to do it, and the studio breaks that barrier," Pando says.

So far, it has been considered that radiofrequency can not be applied to pancreatic cancer, as this implies Too much risk due to the location of the tumor, surrounded by larger arteries and veins.

If the results are confirmed, from 2020 to 2021 this procedure could be a "great option" for patients with pancreatitis that can not be managed.

— Complex forecast —

The operations were carried out in a study led by the Medical Medical Center of the Netherlands.

The study estimates that approximately 40% of patients have locally advanced pancreatic cancer at the time of diagnosis. The average survival of patients with this disease is about eight months.

One of the causes of high mortality of pancreatic cancer is that the symptoms they cause are so unspecific that 80% of patients get diagnosed in advanced stages.

After diagnosis, only 20% of these types of tumors are operable. For the remaining 80%, the only option is, until now, chemotherapy.

— "She gave me six months to live" —

One of the patients who managed this method at the Vall d 'Hebron Hospital was Maria Jose del Valle, who came up with the doctors of this center last week to present the results of the first radiofrequency intervention.

Maria Jose, who had been a doctor for a lifetime, was at her friend's house when she realized she had it yellow hand. After the relevant tests, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

He was offered to participate in a clinical study and at a press conference said he had signed it "without reading"He went through two months of chemotherapy before he underwent an innovative surgical intervention." I knew that the survival was low, I gave it six months. "Now it's" phenomenal ".

"I never thought men could suffer from breast cancer"
At this point, this technique is only used in patients who were stable after several months of chemo.

Although doctors are looking for caution, they are optimistic. "If it is confirmed that this therapy is effective for locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma, we will finally have a technique that allows us to improve the prognosis of this malignant tumor," concludes dr. Ramon Charco.

Follow us on Twitter …

[ad_2]
Source link