Drivers who travel to the Alberto Motorway are said to be cautious considering that a mixture of strong winds and snow will fall on Friday in the province.
Powerful winds combined with snow fall will create poor visibility on roads on the roads during the morning, Environmental Canada warned.
The weather agency was told that there is a significant risk of "harmful" winds – and Edmonton will be hit during the morning drive.
Winds from 70 to 90 kilometers per hour are expected in the capital. Light snow is also expected in Edmonton, with the risk of freezing rain.
"This morning, strong winds are developing in the northwest behind the hilly cold front," Environmental Canada said.
"While the winds are spreading in the southeast, strong blows will reach the Red Deer, Lloydminster and Hanna regions by mid morning and continue in the afternoon."
From Friday to Friday, wind warnings remained in place:
- City Edmonton – St. Albert – Shervood Park
- Drayton Valley – Devon – Rimbei – Pigeon Lake
- Cardston – Fort Macleod – Magrath
- Crovsnest Pass – Pincher Creek – Watterton Lake Nat. Park
- Fort Saskatchewan – Vegreville – Redvater – Smoki Lake
- Hanna – Coronation – Oien
- Leduc – Camrose – Vetasquin – Tofild
- Lethbridge – Taber – Milk River
- Lloydminster – Vainvright – Vermilion – Provost
- Okotoks – High River – Claresholm
- Red Deer – Ponoka – Innisfail – Stettler
- Spruce Grove – Morinville – Maierthorpe – Evansburg
Other areas of the province are warned to adhere to strong snow. In some areas it is expected between 10 and 20 centimeters.
It is expected that snow will end on Friday night for the northwestern parts of Alberta. It will continue until Saturday morning for communities closer to the Saskatchewan border.
Powerful winds with a slope of 50 to 70 kilometers per hour will also produce poor visibility and tobacco snow, Environmental Canada warned.
Snowfall alerts exist for a number of regions, including:
- Fort Chipevian – Voodoo Buffalo National Park
- Fort McMurrai – Fort MacKai
- High level – Rainbow Lake – Fort Vermilion
- Peace River – Fairview – High Prairie – Manning
- Vabasca – Peerless Lake – Gift Lake – Cadotte Lake