Saturday , June 3 2023

Leander Green was the first Nevfoundlander to be awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for Courage in the First World War | Local | news


There was no surprise for anyone in the Sunniside community when they learned of a local man's hero.
Leander Green, a capable sailor with the Roial Nevfoundland Reservists, quickly raised his hand when the captain of a ship needed a volunteer who tried to save the lives of the sailors in the North Atlantic only after midnight on the new 1915 – the ocean that is frigid best of the time.

Leander's son, Everett Green, says his father is the third man from a ship who volunteered to get a rope on a ship sinking in an attempt to save those on board.

He had already watched the two trying and failing. However, he did not hesitate when they asked for leave.

"I am proud of my father for the decision to save the lives of these people," said Everett, a retired inspector with Roial Nevfoundland Constabulari.
"His courage showed only the man he was, he always thought about someone else and was trying to do the right thing."

He said Leander lived his life every day this time, not just when he called him.
Everett is one of the nine Leander boys and his wife, Mari Blanche. The times were difficult to try to eat and dress, but they succeeded.
He said that his father was a man of God who spent a lot of time in prayer, reading, or singing with his powerful voice. When he was not in church, he tried to help his family or others in the community.
"I remember one of my mom telling me, woke up in the middle of the night and asked him:" Leander, what's wrong? Why can not you sleep? "Everett said.
"He said to her, saying," You know Aunt and so, or uncle and so, they do not have much, and I am worried that they will not have food when they get up tomorrow. "Because of that he got, went downstairs and made a pack of food and went home, opened the door and hit him in the kitchen and quietly left. That was the one that was constantly."
Everett said throughout his life, he never heard a bad word about his father.

Leander was one of 87 men from the Sunniside area to apply to serve in the Great War. Fisherman from St. Jones Bez, joined the Navy Reserve in 1914, and was among the first group of reservists for active duty.
On New Year's Eve in 1914, his ship, HMS Hilary, went to the aid of SS Mariette, which was torpedoed by a German submarine and sunk in the North Atlantic. The crew of the caught vessel did not have any angle, as they lost a lifeboat.
The only way to save any of them is to get a line from Hilaria to Marietta. The only way to do this was to go over the hips with a rope and swim.
Global macrow Green went ahead.
In later years, describing the events of that night to the family, he would say: "I looked across and thought, what the hell am I doing here?"
Then he jumped, with a rope tied around his chest, and the end of the rope in his teeth.
He was swimming on a ship that sank, and – with a rescue rope secured between two ships – members of the crew of the Marine began to move along the rope to Hilaria.
Green remained with a rope, helping men. Six people are saved by his heroism.

"Dad never spoke about it, but he would go to parade every day of the fight," said Everett.
"I would shine his boots."
The Cadet magazine warned at the time: "Leander Green is a great representative of our maritime reservists – a powerful, solid and powerful, obvious and intelligent – type of man who sees his duty, but to do it."

When Leander returned from the war, he bought two sharks and went fishing in Labrador. He would sail to St. John with his burden of fish and then sail to Sunniside on his boat, Dorothy Blundell. He packed the fish, and Everett walked across the Sunniside to secure those who needed it and got it.
Leander Green died in 1966, the same year Everett joined the RNC, the next phase of life of the Green family began.

[email protected]

– With files from Barbara Dean Simmons, Saltwire Netvork

Watch Video

Source link