Sunday , April 2 2023

Forty cases of carbon monoxide poisoning in the last six weeks of SADA


The Dutch Fire Brigade and the Dutch Burns Foundation raise the alarm for the "silent killer" carbon monoxide (CO). Over the past six weeks, forty people have been poisoned with carbon monoxide. They are caused by wrong geysers, heaters, poor ventilation or clogged jets.

"The cold has not yet begun in the Netherlands and we have already seen so many accidents," says Jet Vroege on behalf of the Dutch Fire Department. It is expected to be the highlight in the coming months. According to Vroge, "killer" CO is hardly suffering this year. "

In the past week, eighteen people were taken to the hospital for eighteen cases. Last year, on the basis of accident registration, 2 people were killed and 161 injured, with 114 hospitalizations.

The Fire Brigade The Netherlands and the Dutch Burns Foundation assume that the actual number is higher because incidents with fireplace or wood stoves are not included in figures.

The Dutch Burns Fund says a random sample shows that 43 percent of respondents do not know that the CO alarm should be hanging in the place where a central heating boiler, geyser, fireplace or stove is present.

Carbon monoxide can spread through poor maintenance or poor ventilation. Smell free is not observed, and the first physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to flu: lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting and fatigue. Without intervention, this can lead to unconsciousness or worse.

Source link