Last year, the PRC voting system collapsed during the finals of the Melody Grand Prix. It was paralyzed and fell on the count due to the great pressure, which was caused by the huge commitment of the audience.
This resulted in a telephone storm, desperate and annoyed viewers – as well as about 1,000 written complaints to the Norwegian Broadcasting Council. The PRC lives on credibility, and this was put to the test this winter evening when there was no vote.
– Just to apologize
MGP General Stig Karlsen from the PRC tells Dagbladet that it got pretty hot around the ears when the votes for the silver final did not pass. The PRC then had to appoint a reserve jury of 30 people who voted for the four artists further.
– We stumbled on the finish line, knelt on the back side, says the general of MGP and adds:
– It was difficult and sad as the end of the successful semifinal and final of MGP. We live credibly, it is essential that people’s voices are heard. I’m just sorry.
Stig Karlsen says that the technical department of the People’s Republic of China evaluated and upgraded the voting system, which has also functioned as it should since then – both in “Star Wars” and in the alternative final of Eurovision in May.
– We also have a better backup system, if technology fails.
– TV viewers must vote via the web application. But if there are problems, all viewers will be told to switch to SMS votes. If this also fails, we have a people’s jury put together by the Norstat analysis company, which will cast its vote, Carlsen says.
It promises the best MGP of all time
The MGP general believes that last year’s MGP broadcasts were the best of all time, if we ignore the voice chaos. He believes that this year’s show will be even bigger and better – but more artists than ever.
As many as 26 artists and songs are included, before we are left with one winner on February 20th.
– Today we will start the presentation of ten songs and artists. Six of them are guaranteed a place in the finals. A total of 20 songs will be presented five Saturdays until the finals. The audience will decide which of them will go to the finals, says Carlsen.
There will be a total of 12 artists who will fight for who will represent Norway in the international final of the IHL, also called the Eurovision Song Contest.
A rabbit without a hat
In each dolphin final, four artists must first fight through two duels. Whoever meets anyone for the duel will be drawn live. Who gets this opportunity also depends on the audience.
New this year is the Wild Card element – like the “rabbit from the hat”.
– That means that artists who do not progress from the semifinals still have the opportunity to reach the finals. The audience got the opportunity to vote for one of the eliminated dolphin finalists who gets the last last card, says Carlsen.
– More important than ever
This winter will continue to be a completely different performance for MGP. The crown sets great limits. There will be no audience in the hall in any of the six shows – not even in the finals.
“Unfortunately, that is not possible yesterday,” said the MGP general, adding:
– But we will make a great TV show with people from home in their living rooms across the country. It will be a national glory, and it is more important than ever. We are isolated, it is dark and cold and it has been a difficult year. It is therefore important that we make something big that can bring the whole of Norway together.
European final – or not?
There will be a European final on Saturday, May 22, with two semifinals earlier in the same week – I hope in Rotterdam. The European Television Union (EBU) is planning live shows with smaller audiences and television technicians, but it also has more plans.
However, all participating countries must submit a finished, exclusively recorded presentation of their winning work.
– If an artist needs to get a crown and can’t perform, then the EBU has a backup, says Carlsen.
She can confirm that last year’s MGP winner Ulrikke Brandstorp is not with this year, although she was offered it. Ulrikke did not qualify for the European finals, which were canceled due to the crown.